Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wasabi

I had my first real sushi last summer when TB visited. The restaurant is a favorite of my younger son and his girlfriend. Let me just say TB loves sushi!! They all helped me figure out what to order and TB took special care to tell me about the wasabi. It was a little humorous because he and my son were both very concerned that I would use too much. My son was surprised that I was willing to try sushi at all, much less some of the dishes I sampled. The only thing I did not like was the baby octopus appetizer that TB ordered. It didn't taste bad; it was just rubbery like clams and difficult to chew.

Last winter TB took a video of one of his soldiers eating wasabi when they were at a sushi restaurant. Apparently this soldier, who was not familiar with wasabi, thought it was mint. I can see where the color would give that impression. The guys dared him to eat the entire dollop in one bite. They bribed him with money. TB was taping it with his camera. His voice is unmistakably the one egging the soldier on. After the soldier put the wasabi in his mouth he reached for a glass of water. TB laughingly told him he had to swallow it without water. I was so impressed with this kid. He barely flinched! I told him I would send him a care package when he deployed for being such a good sport and for putting up with TB's foolishness. (Of course, he did make some money from it!) TB's reaction was What!!! You're my angel! LOL Since TB changed Companies that soldier is no longer in his squad, but I sent him a care package a few weeks ago. The wasabi incident happened at least six months ago, so I suppose he thought I would forget. He was so appreciative. I'm happy to say that I found someone to give him some extra support during his deployment. I'll have to tell TB about that in my next letter. I think it will make him happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment