Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Communication Frustration

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday were frustrating. No word from TB. That's to be expected. The frustrating part was Monday one of his friends mentioned receiving a text message from TB with his Afghani cell phone number. Yesterday that person received a phone call and another friend received a text message. Both are in Germany. The second person happened to be chatting with me and mentioned to TB that I had not heard from him. He responded that he had sent me two text messages. The idea that perhaps he would be in a place for the next year where his main means of communication with the outside world might be phone texts that I can’t receive made me very sad. On the other hand it was good to know he had tried.

Then wouldn’t you know, my mother’s intuition whacked me in the head in the middle of the night and I felt I needed to get online. The instant I signed into Yahoo Messenger, TB signed in, too. He immediately let me know that over the past several days he tried to send 3 text messages. He said phone calls would not go through to the States. I don’t know why it will work to Germany and not to the U.S. I told him that I know some soldiers who have used their Afghani cell phones to call home. TB said maybe he needed a different sim card.

He was able to stay online for two hours. It was sooo good to chat! He is in good spirits even though they are not at their final destination yet and do not know when they will be. Having that time to catch up put me in much better spirits, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment