Thursday, August 12, 2010

What's a Mother To Do?

I’m a mother and a teacher, so I’m used to meeting problems head on. I analyze, come up with a plan, and take care of it. Usually, I’m successful. I’ve met my match with the Army. It isn’t often I feel like beating my head against the wall, screaming, and crying all at the same time! There are young men sitting at a remote base who have not been resupplied or received packages from home in over a month. They have no more eating utensils or plates. They are out of laundry detergent and toothpaste. Their food has expired. I guess it’s MRE’s now. I understand the logistics and the danger involved in resupplying a remote base, but, as a mother, it’s driving me nuts because there’s nothing I can do about it. I’ve sent package after package with items TB needs. Not frivolous feel-good items – toothpaste, laundry detergent, body wash, shampoo. Well, okay, I’m sure the Army might consider sheets and a pillow frivolous. All the while they are expected to do their jobs, hike for miles along mountain paths, and focus on the mission. What is it doing to morale? TB is working hard to explain it to his young soldiers who are on their first deployment. When this young man who never, ever complains about anything, who sucks it up no matter what, who actually relishes the challenge of pushing himself to the limit, says to me, “I don’t want to worry you, Mom”, my heart breaks. I’m angry. I’m frustrated. I’m sad. I want to fix it. I’m the Mom. That’s my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment