Thursday, March 17, 2011

Almost Home

I can’t say enough about the way the Red Cross responded to TB’s family emergency. The people who worked with me to get the message to TB and his command were compassionate, thorough, and dedicated. TB is not one to sit on his hands and do nothing. He notified his command prior to receipt of the message and he was sent on to a larger FOB to wait. I have no doubt that this move saved at least a day, and perhaps two, of wait time.


TB reached the States today. He called me during a long layover, halfway to his destination. He sounded extremely tired. I’m so happy that a mutual friend was able to meet him at the airport. Another brother (who cannot attend the funeral) and his family were also able to see him. This meant so much to TB. I was told he is at the point of exhaustion and although he claimed he was not hungry, when pressed to eat, devoured two sandwiches. Thank goodness for our good friend who was there to look out for him. I’m so grateful for that kindness.

As he faces this emotional experience, I pray that spending time with his family and friends will bring TB comfort. I pray for closure and peace of mind. His family will draw strength from him and I know he will be strengthened by their love.

No comments:

Post a Comment